March 1, 2012

Daycare Day 3

This week is flying by, I can't believe it's already Wednesday and transition week is halfway finished! James was at daycare for 3 hours today. I thought we'd have a typical day but when we arrived at 9 his favorite teacher wasn't there. She had an appointment and started work at noon which was when we were supposed to leave. So I played with James a little and tried to keep my distance so he could get more used to the other teachers. This seemed like it worked because he was sitting in a teachers lap at 9:30 when I said bye to him. He was happy since he was playing with a ball, his new favorite toy. He didn't even notice me as I put on my coat and left the room, to me this was a good sign. Earlier I even tried to nurse him and he pushed me away because he wanted to play. Lol! 

As I left I couldn't help but wonder what was going on in the room. It was snowing on my way over so there was no morning walk today. James feel asleep on the walk yesterday so there was no chance that he'd do that again today. He usually nurses himself to sleep around 10:30 so I was worried that he wouldn't sleep since he's also not drinking milk. During my walk home I started getting a sinking feeling and felt nervous. I wanted to go back and take care of James, but I thought I need to be strong and I pushed those thoughts out of my head. The teachers are professionals and they have my phone number at the center so I'd be on the next cab over if they called. 

When I got home I immediately put the daycare webcam on and tried to find James. The camera isn't very clear and there are kids dressed similarly to James. It took me a little while to figure out he wasn't in the room so I assumed he was sleeping. It was so quiet at home without James that I was actually lonely and missed him. So after an hour of watching the camera I still didn't see James. It was getting close to pick-up time around noon so I started to walk back over. 

Once in his classroom the teachers advised me that he had just woken up and was having lunch. I peeped over to see him in a little chair eating with another boy beside him. I didn't want him to see me because then he would cry and wouldn't eat so I hid by the classroom door. One of his teachers then filled me in on his day. She said that after we left all the kids started crying (2 other kids are transitioning with us). A girl started then there was a chain reaction. She said James was ok once he was picked up. Then they rocked him to sleep and they were able to put him in the crib and he slept for 1.5 hours. He wasn't given a bottle since he just went straight to sleep. I advised that they should give him milk then put him to sleep next time. 

During our conversation James was eating their prepared food which was cream of vegetable soup. He took 2 bites then decided he didn't want more. So they gave him the food I made instead and he ate some of that. When he was done they brought him over and I called to him. He immediately started crying and wanted to see me. I picked him up and kissed him and all was better. :) Then I noticed that there were some red spots on his face like some sort of reaction. Since James had had veggies before and not milk it had to be the milk in the soup. To be safe I told the teachers that I would supply his food until he's been introduced to more food and when he's over a year. They agreed that it would be a good idea. Next I nursed James and gathered his things and we went home. 

Phew, I am so glad we made it. I feel relieved that they were able to get him to sleep, now I hope he will drink from a cup tomorrow. He'll be there from 9-2:30! Eeekk! I'll let you know how it goes then.

Happy reading!

Rachel

4 comments:

  1. This post me made so emotional. I actually had tears welling up in my eyes. I know that sinking feeling in your stomach all too well. But you both survived day 3!! Yay! It can only get better from here. :) xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we all enjoyed being on maternity leave together, now we are sharing the childcare experience. You are right we made it and now onto the rest of the week! Hope all is well with you an Samu too! See you soon!

      Delete
  2. Its so hard to not have them around all the time! I totally know what you mean when you say you were lonely without him. They're growing up so fast! He seems to be doing well though. Good luck for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faria and I hope Imaan is doing well too! See you tomorrow!

      Delete