March 22, 2012

Still Suffering :(

James had an ear infection in both ears that we discovered last Thursday when we went to see our old pediatrician. She placed him on a new medication since he's basically had back to back infections. Last night we gave him his last dose before bed and he slept until 4:00am from 8:00pm. As usual I went in and nursed but afterwards he had a coughing fit and vomited everywhere. I woke Adit up to help and change James while I put on another uniform (I refer to my PJ's as my uniform for nursing, lol!). Then we tried again, after a few minutes he started coughing again and vomited. So Adit was up again to help for the second wardrobe change. After that James was unable to sleep because he was hungry. I sat him more upright and nursed him while taking pauses. This seemed to work and he feel asleep. Then I brought him to my bed so I could monitor him.

He woke up late around 7:30 which was understandable. We made breakfast for him, but he didn't eat much. So we made his egg and got him ready for daycare. I made a doctor's appointment for 2:00 to recheck his ears as I suspected that they didn't heal. When I went to daycare they advised that he didn't have his egg this morning. They also said that he had lunch but ended up vomiting after his meal because he got upset when a teacher tried to prevent him from playing with his sippy cup. As for milk he only drank .5oz and took a sip of his second bottle. James was still asleep when I got there and I was sad to wake him up for the appointment, but it was important.

Once at the doctor's office James was crying non-stop. He didn't want any checks so I nursed him so that the doctor could check his lungs and ears. The doctor advised that he wasn't too concerned about the vomiting since James didn't seem dehydrated. However he still had a terrible ear infection in his right ear. The left side was almost clear. This meant that the 7-day medicine he just finished didn't work. I was left with the what now question. The doctor advised that ear infections are common during this cold and flu season and that once the weather warms up that he'll be better. In the meantime he suggested another medication. :( I am not a big fan of medicine so I asked about other options. He said that I can give tylenol for discomfort, but that James needed this new medicine.

This new medicine has the usual side effects of vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and a few others. I didn't feel comfortable giving it to James tonight as he just finished the other medicine. Instead I will give it to him tomorrow morning with breakfast. The doctor also referred us to an ENT (ear, nose & throat doctor). I am looking forward to that appointment.

Otherwise James had a good late afternoon, we went to the park with friends and he had a great time walking around, going down the slide, using the teeter-totter, and going on the swings. I am so lucky that I have a happy baby that still loves to play after being in all this pain. Now he's sleeping, we elevated his crib by placing a cushion under the mattress which should help him sleep. Let's see how it goes tonight. Also my mom suggested that I apply heat to his ears which helps with the pain. Does anyone else have any other tips that can help James? Please share with us by commenting on the blog.

Happy reading!

Rachel

PS: Here are some pics from the park today!




2 comments:

  1. aww haha if i didn't see u guys today i wouldn't be able to tell from the pics that James was sick! he looks soo happy!
    ear infections are awful...i remember arianna was fighting one for about a month even after taking antibiotics! i gave her tylenol every night for about a week to help relieve her pain...if not she would whimper and toss and turn the whole night and it would just break my heart to watch her like that.
    don't worry too much about James eating...he's not well so he probably has a poor appetite...just make sure he's drinking his milk and water. as he starts feeling better he will start eating more. give him a big hug from us! hope he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ear infections are the worst! Sameera had back to back infections for a month too after we got back from our trips. It sucks to see them in so much pain. But James is such a trooper, and you would never know he is suffering from those pics! Haha! Sooo happy! I never gave Tylenol as I felt that was too many meds for her, but the second type of antibiotics worker reallly well for her. Hopefully his second dose will too! She vomitted a lot too at that time, but that's because they are congested and lose their appetites. I kept pushing get milk, water and occasionally some pedialyte. Hope he feels better very soon!! Love the collage, very creative! Big hugs from us!! :)

    ReplyDelete