March 20, 2012

What a Difference a Doctor Makes!

How do you know your child's pediatrician/family doctor is right for you? This was something that's been bothering me for awhile. In case you don't know I am American and am used to the paid medical service there. I used to pay a portion of the premium on my paycheck bi-weekly and my employer paid the rest. What's great about this system was that I didn't have to wait for anything, doctors were readily available to see me for all my ailments, lol! Also there were no waits longer than a couple days for any x-rays/tests. Since I've been out of the states for about 5 years now I seemed to have forgotten what this service was like.

I remember how difficult it was to find a pediatrician when I was pregnant. I called almost all the doctors on the directory provided by the government and no one was accepting. I spoke with my OB and she advised that I can probably get one after I deliver. This did stress me out a little because they won't let you leave the hospital without having one. After we had James, the nurses advised us that there were 2 doctors that they knew of who were accepting. We chose one, called and since she was accepting we were so happy we made our 2-day appointment. I was so relieved that we got the doctor for James. 

This doctor was good at the beginning or so we thought. She was always in a rush, asked us to prepare questions at each visit. So when she came in the room we had less than 5 minutes with her. Every month she checked James's weight and answered questions. I felt so rushed and pressured that I never asked all my questions. I remember when I asked about how much James is eating she responded by saying that babies eat small, baby portions. After that I should have know that this relationship wouldn't work out. However I continued to see her for a year. As a new mom I felt very vulnerable. I knew that we deserved more care, but I didn't know what she was doing wrong exactly. So I polled my mommy friends and asked them what their doctors were like. I heard a range of answers. Some said that their doctors were very busy and took the time to answer their questions. This was similar to my situation. Others said that their doctors were very patient and discussed milestones, meal plans, and more care for their babies. The latter was they type of doctor I was looking for. So I got a referral from a friend and booked my first appointment with the new doctor. 

This doctor is a family physician rather than pediatrician. I would prefer a pediatrician, but at this point I can't be choosy. I heard great things about her from my friend and she didn't let me down. After our visit yesterday I felt so relieved. She took the time to get to know us. She did the typical exams and said that once she receives our charts she can do more for us. She is affiliated with a hospital so can refer us to a dietitian, nutritionist, etc if we needed it. Also she asked about milestones with James and gave us "homework" to help him progress his development. This was so amazing, I was so happy to have someone who finally cared. I felt that the other doctor just assumed everything was ok unless we had questions. This is not good care for a new mom who needs lots of help. My only regret is that I didn't find this new doctor sooner. 

So my lesson for you moms out there is to trust your instincts. If you don't feel comfortable or have that nagging feeling that something isn't right, don't be passive like I was. Take charge of the situation, ask for help, and get it resolved. You will be far happy with the outcome. So please keep this in mind when getting a doctor for your little one, as I wouldn't want anyone to go through the stress and anxiety that I did for far too long. I am happy now and looking forward to building a new relationship with James' doctor!

Hope this helps someone out there and feel free to share any other tips that can help moms decide the difference between good and not so good doctors.

Happy reading!

Rachel

2 comments:

  1. hey Rach!
    you are so right! a good doctor makes a huge difference in your approach to parenting...as new mum's we probably always wonder if what we are doing is right (or wrong!) and it helps when you have someone who can guide you along the way. what really stood out for me with my doctor was that she always asked about my A and where she's at with her milestones and always gave me little tips on how to work on certain things...she really seemed to be in tune with what i was saying and never tried to rush me out the door which i really appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rach,
    I am glad you found a doctor that you are now comfortable with, because that is very important. I remember when I was in LA, Chloe's doc was always in a rush and I hated it but didn't know what to do as we had limited choices as well. Of course, since moving back to NY I found a very nice doctor that explains everything in details and always welcome walk-ins which happens a lot since I am a worrier and takes Chloe for every little boo boo. :)

    ReplyDelete