March 9, 2012

Fit Fridays! - Week 1

Welcome to Fit Fridays! 

Every Friday I'll use this post to focus on something exercise or health related and give everyone an update on my weight loss progress! I am doing the unthinkable and sharing my weight! I would also do measurements, but frankly who has the time to do that! Lol!

Here are my stats:
Start Weight: 140.4
Goal Weight: 130.0

I've been going to the gym for the past few days which feels great, but I know that I can do better with my food choices. Adit & I have agreed that we will not have anymore junk food unless it's a special occasion (i.e. James's birthday!). I will also only drink water and milk, so no more calories from juices! I do make most of our food so I'll focus on making even healthier meals, such as fish, and having a vegetarian meal once a week. 

If you didn't get a chance to watch Dr.Oz's show on Monday, he had a segment called "The Lazy Girl’s 4-Step Guide to Getting Healthy" As a mom, we are far from lazy, but since we don't have much time for ourselves I thought I'd watch the segment to get some tips! This is a basic guide to taking care of one's body and although it sounds so simple, most moms aren't doing these things. When I think about it, I haven't gone to see the doctor since I had my check-ups after James. Before him, I used to go all the time. Dr. Oz mentions getting enough sleep! Sleep is a luxury in my home! Lol!

My favorite part of his article is:
Step 4: Burn Calorie Without Stepping Foot in a Gym

There are two simple things you can do to burn calories without going anywhere near a gym. First: Take a stand! Next time you’re on the bus, at work, waiting for an appointment, or folding laundry, try standing up instead of sitting. You’ll burn an extra 50 calories an hour. 
And here’s a fun one: try using someone else’s bathroom. Of course, nobody likes sitting on a stranger’s toilet, so by squatting, you’ll not only be working important core and leg muscles, you’ll also burn up to 140 calories a day. (This is an easy one to follow!)

Here's to the start of a healthier me and you, so please join me on this weight loss journey! Also any advice is appreciated on simple lifestyle changes to help us drop those pounds. :) Please share your ideas with us by commenting on the blog!

Happy reading!

Rachel

8 comments:

  1. Love it, I am gonna try it too. I also heard that if you drink water 40mins before or after a meal, it would help in digestion and to get rid of water retention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wohoo, I am excited that you'll be joining me! Also thanks for the great tip! Water is so important. :)

      Delete
  2. Yup, I'm no board too! I've been hardcore working out since transitioning Sameera and now I'm trying to stick with it being back at work. It's exhausting but, you feel such an adrenalin rush after the gym. I do a lot of core workouts, such as pilates as well as cardio. I use the exercise ball at the gym and it's amazing for targeting your abs and obliques. :) Good luck mommies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are able to stick with your workout since returning to work and your workout sounds great! Are you going to your condo gym or do you have a membership? Maybe we can workout together sometime and have the daddies watch the kiddies! Lol!

      Delete
  3. Good luck Rach, I am still trying to lose the last 5lbs of baby weight and it is not an easy task especially since I find myself snacking on Chloe's snack. So whatever you do, please stay away from James snacks. :) Of course I recently start working out again with my former trainer (Janet)and you know how strict she is - we are acutally going to do the Revlon for Cancer run this year, its only 3.5 miles but I am looking forward to it. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shelly, thanks for the advice on staying away from James' snacks. The problem is that I have a sweet tooth so I look for sweets. And great idea on doing a run, I've done 5K (3.5 miles) in the past so I think I might do another one this year too to stay motivated. :) Now that you have your trainer, I am sure she'll get you to your goal weight! Too bad she isn't here to train me! Lol!

      Delete
  4. hey Rach! great post! even i have a few more pounds to lose and they r sticking to me like glue!
    one option is boot camp in the summer. thats what jump started my weight loss. i went for an hour long outdoor boot camp while Eraj jogged with Arianna. it was just an hour so it went by pretty fast and didn't cut too much into family time.
    also try swimming or light weights after James goes down to sleep...i usually swim/gym after 8.00p.m....thats when i actually get myself off the couch and out the door...
    GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea about swimming, I was thinking about doing that but I'm not a good swimmer and I doubt I can even do one lap now without being out of breath! Lol! I'm still considering workout options so I'll keep swimming on the table too. Thanks for the suggestion and good luck with your workout!

      Delete