March 15, 2012

My Poor Baby! :(

We had a typical morning except that James woke up at 5:30. Eeekk for me! I nursed him in his room until around 6:30 then I brought him into bed to wake up dada. After nursing he usually plays with us, but today he wouldn't stop crying. I thought he was still tired and hungry so I continued nursing. After that he kept crying. So then I thought it was his diaper and changed that, but he was still unhappy. Our next thought was that he was hungry so we quickly made his breakfast, but he refused it. We even offered him an egg which he loves, but he also refused that. That's when the "something is wrong feeling" was confirmed.

I quickly got dressed and drove him to the doctor. Of course once we arrived it started raining. So I grabbed the diaper bag, my purse, an umbrella, and James and ran to the doctors office. After waiting 30 minutes, we discovered why James wasn't feeling well - he has an ear infection. :( As she was writing up a prescription for that I mentioned his experience with dairy. So far he's been vomiting after having less than a teaspoon of yogurt and when he tried cream of veggie soup at daycare he had bumps on his chin. I suspected that he has an allergy to dairy and she agreed so she advised that he should have no dairy for 3 months. Looks like I'll be pumping for awhile longer than I expected.

Once home I gave James his medicine and put him to sleep. He nursed until he slept so looks like our progress of him drinking 2 ounces of milk yesterday might be thrown out the window. I let him sleep in my arms because each time I put him down he kept waking up. Once he woke up I held him and tried to encourage him to eat by offering him a cheerio. He took it and once he put it in his mouth he puked everywhere. It was all over me and him. Plus this wasn't normal puke, it was medicine puke which reeked. I had to breathe out of my mouth when changing and sponging him so that I didn't puke too. However this was a turning point, because now he was hungry and he readily accepted food. I tried cereal and he ate it all. Then I made him some pancakes with steamed apples and he ate some of that too. I was just happy his appetite was back.

Since he was feeling better, we ventured to Dufferin Mall with Adit's mom. I had to run some last minute errands for the party. On our way home James fell asleep which was good since he didn't nap since noon. Once up he had a few bites of food, had a quick shower, and got ready for bed. It took me a long time to nurse him to sleep and even after that he woke up a few times. Luckily he's sleeping now as he needs his rest. I just hope he feels better for his party on Sat. He's in good spirits, but I can still see that his ear bothers him. I hope another day of medicine will help.

Well I'm off to bed now since I'll probably be waking up a few times tonight to comfort him.

Happy reading!

Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment