April 3, 2012

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease :(

I am sure most of you are wondering what this is so here's a definition from babycenter before I go on:

"Hand, foot and mouth disease is usually a mild illness caused by one of a group of coxsackie viruses. It gets its name from the little sores that develop on the hands and feet, and in the mouth. It’s common in children under 10, although adults can get a milder form of the virus. "

Now here's why it's important. James developed a high fever overnight so I gave him Tempra (infant tylenol) and it started to go down. James was really clingy and didn't want to sleep in his crib so I brought him to bed with me. After hours of nonstop nursing he finally gave me 2.5hrs of sleep. This meant that I had a terrible migraine in the morning. I can never properly function with a migraine so I didn't go to work today.

As for James his fever was decreasing, but still there. I called his daycare to let them know about his absence. While discussing the administrator advised me that there were 2 cases of HMF and 1 of chicken pox. So I asked if that was at the center or his classroom and she said his classroom! I was mortified as I didn't want either for James.

I remember a friend of mine's daughter had HFM soon after starting daycare so I was wondering how kids get it and what the symptoms were so here they are:

How can my baby catch HFM:
"Hand, foot and mouth disease is contagious and easily passed on from person to person. Your baby can catch it if someone with the virus coughs or sneezes near him, or from contact with stool, saliva or fluid from the sores. If your baby catches it he will be most contagious a few days before symptoms appear, so it can be hard to anticipate or prevent.

Not surprisingly, outbreaks of hand, foot and mouth disease are common in daycares and nursery schools. Hygiene is very important to prevent it spreading, so wash your hands and your baby’s hands frequently with soap and water." - Baby Center

What are the Symptoms:
"The telltale signs of the virus are small, blister-like sores in your baby's mouth, and on his hands and feet. The sores may spread up the backs of his legs and onto his bottom and genitals. The blisters can be extremely sore, and your baby may not want to drink or eat because of the blisters in his mouth. Your baby may also feel unwell, and have a sore throat and mild fever for a day or two, and go off his food.

It usually takes between three and five days for symptoms to appear once your baby is infected. Hand, foot and mouth disease will be uncomfortable for your baby, but rest assured that it's not a serious illness. " - Baby Center

So this afternoon I saw a little bump on his chin then a little later saw a bump on his palm. This is when we went to the doctor. We didn't have an appointment so we had to wait until almost closing time. The doctor advised us that the bumps we saw could just be from the fever but the ones he found on his knee looked like more cause for concern. He said that it's probably not chicken pox as sores start on the belly of which James had none.

He was more concerned with James' fever so he asked us to monitor it and come back if he worsened in 2 days.

So all we know right now is that he doesn't have chicken pox, has a fever, and may or may not have HFM. So on the way home from the doctor I stopped by daycare to collect my milk for James. Once there I heard that there are 2 cases if chicken pox and 4 cases of HFM. The odds don't look promising for James.

I'll continue to monitor him and keep him comfy in my arms. For pain relief the doctor recommended infant tylenol of which he is taking. Also I need to continuously nurse him since he's not eating much food.

Has your child ever had HFM? What did you do to comfort them? How long did it last? Please share your experience with us on the blog!

Happy reading!

Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! I hope James was spared from the daycare germs... sending healthy wishes your way.

    ReplyDelete