May 9, 2012

The Weight Game!

The rain just ruined a beautiful sunny day. I was planning on taking James to the park with his friends, but no luck today. James has a runny nose, but otherwise doing well. He even has an increased appetite and actually asked for food yesterday.

I'm one of those mothers who is always concerned about her son's weight. When he was born he was tall and skinny, had very little fat. By 2.5 months he reached a much healthier weight and got a little chubby. The chub lasted until he fell ill a few times with ear infections, colds and flus, then HFM. So he has been playing catchup for awhile. I'm not concerned about his weight now, although I used to worry about it. I had so much mommy guilt! Did I not eat enough while pregnant, I was getting stressed with the job and getting ready for baby. All of these things were bothering me and I realize now that I did the best that I could have at the time and that I have a happy, healthy, baby boy.

I always admired chubby babies with rolls, etc. I felt they were growing nicely, good eaters, and were what James should look like. However that would never happen for James, he is too busy running around, he's just a huge ball of energy that doesn't stop. Lol! So why do we feel that chubby babies are healthy? I don't really know why, it's a perception that most parents have.

That's when I read this article that my cousin posted on Facebook about mothers wanting their babies to be chubby. The article stated that most mothers were incorrect in assessing their toddlers body size and often thought there were smaller than they were. The article even stated that mothers whose children were healthy weight, wanted their toddlers to be bigger. When reading the article it seems a little absurd that mothers with healthy toddlers want them to be bigger, but what's funny is that I can completely relate, because I want the same for James. Lol! However I am comfortable with his weight since he does eat balanced meals, and some days are better than others, but I know he is growing well!

Hope your little one is doing well too and check out the article!

Happy reading!

Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhh... can totally relate to this Rachel! Julia was jaundiced in the beginning and made things much more difficult. I admit I'm still kinda obsessed about her feeding. She's always been on the skinny side, and once she's a little bit full there's no getting anything else into her. Now that she's 8 months old and so active she's not very interested in food, all new reason for me to worry!
    It is very true about perceptions with baby weight, and the thinking that bigger means more growth, and therefore equates to a healthier baby. Strange.

    ReplyDelete