February 27, 2012

Daycare Day 1

James finished his first transition day at daycare today and I feel relieved. I was such a nervous wreck last night. I was crying and felt like I was going to vomit. Who knew I'd become so emotional. I see daycare as a positive experience: there is structure, it fosters socialization, and it builds independence. Although there are all these positives I am sad that James is going there. I remember when I used to talk about James having separation anxiety, but now I have it! I am going to miss him so much. 

What makes me feel better is that he likes his teachers and he was even playing with some of the kids. Mind you we only had a two hour visit, so we'll see what the rest of the week brings. I am still stressed out about him not drinking milk, but one of the teachers suggested that they give him some cereal mixed with milk if he's not drinking it. Plus they say that it happens to nursing kids and that he will drink it when he is thirsty. I hope that's the case because I did try withholding nursing before and he didn't even notice. 

After daycare we walked home and I made some lunch since Da-da was coming home to leave me the car. I made some trout, corn, spinach and rice. As Adit took his food and started eating, James raced over to him to see what he had. He was holding Adit's knees with his mouth open so he fed him. James loved it, we could tell because he kept jumping around and dancing. It was his first time having fish as I've mostly stuck to beef, chicken, and turkey. So I prepared a bowl of food for James and he ate it all! It makes me so happy when he's eating. Funny how these things make me happy now. Lol! It must be a mom thing. :)

Well I am pooped right now because after we dropped Adit back to work James and I went shopping at Dufferin Mall for 3 hours. James missed his morning nap and when he did nap it was only for 40 minutes. By the time we got home he was exhausted and hungry ts we quickly gave him a bath, fed him, and prepared him to sleep. Nursing didn't work so I called for reinforcement and Adit was able to rock him to sleep.

Now I'm mentally preparing for tomorrow because he'll be at daycare for 2 hours again and I'll only be there for 1 hour. I wasn't aware that each day there is a separate parent time. It makes sense since it's part of transitioning, but I do worry. Luckily there is a Timmies across the street so I will be waiting there staring at my phone in case I get a call to see my Baba! That's going to be the longest hour. Has anyone else transitioned their kids into daycare? Please share your story in the comments section of the blog!

Happy reading!

Rachel

1 comment:

  1. aww Rach...reading this post takes me back a few months when my little A first went to daycare! the seperation anxiety i felt was sooo overwhelming! i was calling the daycare every 2 hours to check up on her! and that was with my mum being in town helping us with the transition too!
    But all i can say is things will definitely get better. I don't regret sending A to daycare one bit when i see how much she learns vicariously!
    I remember the days when she used to cling to my neck and cry when i dropped her off....now she just walks in by herself and on the off day will turn around to wave bye!
    ps: how was day 2?

    ReplyDelete