April 14, 2012

Oh What a Day!

Yesterday started out really well, we all got ready and dropped James off at daycare. Then Adit & I went to work. I had a wonderful lunch with some of my former colleagues. It was so nice catching up, just like old times. We have all changed, but still somehow haven't so we all just fit in! The afternoon went by really quickly then it was time to get James.

Adit met me at daycare so we collected James and his stuff and headed home. We wanted to get there quickly because we were going to the park to meet some friends! Once at the park, James was a little clingy and wanted his usual nursing so after that he was ready to go. Adit took him down the slide and he had an awesome time. Sameera was also there and she loves the slide too. Both kids know how to go down by themselves, but Sameera makes an entrance. She sits at the top then pans the crowd to make sure all eyes and cheering is for her, then she gives a smile and goes down! It was the cutest thing ever! After the swing the kids were on the move. James was with Adit then before we knew it he took off and tripped and fell face first on concrete. :(

Adit picked him up and all we saw was gushing blood. :( I was so worried that he broke his teeth, I really didn't know what to do. We rushed him over to his stroller to get something to wipe his mouth. I grabbed a bib and started cleaning the blood, but more was coming. Since it wasn't stopping we knew we needed to get to the emergency. Luckily we drove to the park so I took off running with James and Adit came with the stroller. Once in the car James was still crying so I did the only thing I could to comfort him which was to nurse him. He seemed to feel better, but still showed signs of pain. I felt so bad that I couldn't help him and we had to wait for a doctor. What's worse is that I wasn't sure what the damage was and if his teeth were ok. I know the same thoughts were going through Adit's head so we just focused on getting James admitted.

Since James was exposed to HFM and Chickenpox in the last 3 weeks, we got quarentined. This didn't affect our care at all, in fact I think it sped it up. James was seen by a nurse who said that it looked like his teeth got pushed up. Oh my God was all I was thinking and what does this mean? I asked her if they pull the teeth back down? She said that it depends, that we'll have to take X-rays and see the dentist who will determine what we can do. I was so terrified at this point. It was around 6:30 and past James' dinner time. I knew he was in no condition to eat, especially with the condition he was in. I couldn't help but think that James just got over HFM and now this. He just started eating well at home and daycare. He's even drinking his milk there too and now he probably won't be able to chew and go back to purees again. I was so sad, but had to keep up since James was counting on me. I kept playing with him and singing him songs, he was even laughing.

Next we got moved to a room. A nurse came to assess James and he was not happy. Ever since getting his ears checked for all his ear infections James doesn't like doctors anymore. He was on edge and started screaming. All the nurse had was a flashlight to check his eyes and he stated balling. :( I held him, but that didn't work. Finally she was able to check his eyes which were fine. Next she had to check his blood pressure. He also screamed on the top of his lungs. James calmed after daddy held him for awhile. Now we were waiting to the see doctor to check his teeth.

The doctor came pretty soon after the nurse left. At this point I was nursing James so he did his check while James was on my lap. He checked his head, neck face, and chin. Then he checked his teeth. As he touched each tooth I held my breath waiting to hear his diagnosis. Then he said it, the teeth are fine, they were not pushed back. I was so relieved! I asked the doctor if he was sure and he said yes. Phew, we dodged a bullet on this one. Then the doctor said that the bleeding came from him hitting his chin on the concrete which forced his bottom teeth into the gums of the top teeth and that it will heal well. Then we just need to keep treating the cut on his chin with polysporin and leave it open to breathe and heal. We were released and went home. James was hungry so we made his dinner and put him to bed soon after. I am so proud of my strong little guy, he did very well and is very brave. :)

While this whole ordeal was happening my mommy friends Mala and Ishanthi were calling giving us constant support. Mala was there for the event and saw the blood so she was also traumatized. We had already left by the time Ishanthi got to the park, but she kept in touch too. These moms are the sweetest and offered to help with food, clothes, anything we needed. Luckily we were already discharged and home so we didn't need much. Ishanthi & Eraj were so sweet and brought us some delicious food. She was so right that as parents we get so wrapped up in the moment that we forget about our own basic necessities like food. The food was very yummy and we were touched by your kindness. :) This is why Mommy Networking is so important, because we get to meet amazing friends that are more like family who support your through the good and bad times. :)

Happy reading!

Rachel

PS: Here are some pictures from the park!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy that our little James is back to his normal, happy self! It was a terrifying experience, but I'm glad that we were there to support you in any small way that we could. You, Adit and James are definitely more like family to us as well, and we look forward to this lifelong friendship no matter where life takes us all! :) xo

    ReplyDelete