June 25, 2012

Center Island Fun Day!

On Saturday a friend arranged that we all take the kiddies to the zoo on Center Island so that they could see all the animals that we sing about. There were a few RSVP's but in the end only two of us made it. Getting to the island requires taking a ferry that runs every 30 minutes. Normally this isn't an issue, but on the weekends the lineup for tickets is insane. Luckily we had purchased tickets last year that were were able to use for the trip.

As Adit hurt his heel from a recent bike accident, he's been ordered to stay off his feet. This meant he wasn't going to join my mom and I because it was a 20 minute walk to the ferry, then about a 15 minute wait for it, and once on the island a walk to the farm. Getting on the ferry was a struggle. We were determined to make it on so my mom took James and went ahead. I figured once she was on they'd have to let me on too. It was a great plan because that's exactly what happened. Once on the island it was a short walk to the farm.

When we arrived I called my friend Mala to meet up. However she got on a different ferry so they had to walk 3km to meet us. It was a beautiful day and they enjoyed the scenic walk so it worked out for them. Since we were at the farm for awhile James got to see all the animals. His favorite were the goats! Initially he would go up to the fence, laugh and run away. Then little by little he stayed longer and longer until he started putting his hands through the gates and didn't want to leave. Lol!

We let him walk around by himself a little since he would throw a tantrum if I held his hand. (Side note: I need advice on getting him to hold my hand) However instead of walking he wanted to run an chase after the ducks. Lol! He was running and pointing to them saying something in baby talk, it was so funny. Of course the ducks retreated to the canals, but James was determined to get them and he tried to go there too.

After the zoo we took him to an open field, spread a blanket, and encouraged him to sit down. It was a nice thought, but unlikely since there were many kids playing with balls and running around. So off he went to join in on the fun. There was a family of a mom and three kids chasing a ball, James quickly became a 5th member. They were nice and let him play too. After they left we gave him his ball and he ran around kicking it. It was amazing to see his coordination as he ran he could kick it up to 4 times in a row. What a little soccer player. :)

After running around he got tired so it was a fast nursing session then he napped. My mom and I just sat on the blanket and enjoyed the fresh air and entertainment. It was the Dragon Boat Festival on the Island so there were bands and events happening. Once we heard an announcement that the last performance was going up we decided it was time to leave to beat the crowds. I quickly and gently placed James in the stroller and made a B-line for the ferry. We were relatively close to the front of the line so I knew we'd get on the next one.

The ferry ride was relaxing, but long as we were on an older ferry. What was annoying was seeing a boat that left after us already docked and pulling out again as we were just about to dock. However I can't complain because James slept through the long rider despite all the noise from the boat and passengers. Once back on land my mom and I quickly walked home as we didn't want to take any chances of James waking up. I say this because James waking up = me carrying him home and he's not that light anymore. Luckily he was pooped and slept the entire way home. He awoke in the elevator which was perfect!

He was happy to see Dada so they played, then he had dinner, and had his bath. Since it was the last night my mom was there, we extended his bedtime a little. Then as I was nursing him around 9 I got a text from Mala to meet up for drinks. I was tired but then I thought that I'm always tired and it's rare that Adit and I get the opportunity to do something together as a couple so I accepted.

We met for drinks and dessert which was a great time. It was so nice to hang out and not have to worry about James. Once he's asleep he'll stay asleep unless he's sick and since he wasn't my mom had no issues with him. Adit and I got home late then went to sleep as James is an early riser. I really enjoyed my Saturday and hope you had a great one too!

Happy reading!

Rachel

PS: Don't forget to enter the drawing to win Smilebox for a year for free. Click here for details! Also this collage was made with Smilebox!



No comments:

Post a Comment