June 22, 2012

15 Month Check-Up!

We went to see the doctor on Tuesday for James' 15 month checkup. This was supposed to be a tough appointment because at this age they get another immunization. However since James was on antibiotics and suffering from an ear infection we postponed it for a couple weeks.

At this appointment we were happy to hear that he put on some weight and that he's developing well. We also discussed his ear infections. This is like number 6 for James and we desperately need to see an ENT. Unfortunately our appointment isn't until the end of July. His doctor thinks that he's unable to drain the fluid in his ear and that's why he keeps getting infected. Essentially she thinks it's just the same infection that had never gone away.

For treatment she suggested going on a low dose antibiotic everyday until the appointment. Before she makes a final decision she's referring to the pediatrician. I am very worried about that idea and the idea that James might need surgery to have tubes put in. This means he'd have anesthesia, which is completely horrifying for me.

I'm praying that there is a solution that doesn't require surgery. Also I am so upset that we have to wait until July to see the ENT. If we were in the states we would have seen an ENT the next day. It upsets me that James has had 2 infections since we've been waiting for an appointment. I've already called the doctor and have asked to be wait listed for cancellations. I've left a message at the doctor's office today requesting an earlier appointment, so let's see if that works.

Otherwise we discussed his allergy again. No progress there since I haven't introduced milk products. The good news is that since he's 15 months we can now do an allergy test so the office will make an appointment for that. James is still nursing and only drinking my milk. It's not enough, but I am against trying soy milk and although I hear almond milk is good, I'm afraid he could react to the nut. This is because his doctor suggested that we stay away from other highly allergic foods, so I'm heeding her advice.

Otherwise James is having a great week. He's eating his food at daycare, napping 2 hrs/day, playing and a ball of energy. My mom has taught him how to kick a ball so now he runs around the condo chasing the ball. Looks like James might take after his mommy and be a little soccer player!

Happy reading!

Rachel

PS: Don't forget to enter the giveaway, click here for details!

No comments:

Post a Comment