October 31, 2012

We are here!

Hi everyone,

Oh how I've missed writing to you all. It's been a busy week for us so I'll start with the move last Wednesday. Adit and I were looking forward to the movers arriving on Wednesday morning until we learned that 2 of 3 elevators were out of order in our building. Therefore we would not have a dedicated elevator. Apparently there was an issue with the motor and the building was waiting on the part and the technician to arrive. In the meantime the movers were scheduled to arrive at 8am. This was a nightmare. However the movers were late and the part was fixed before a load was taken down, so we were lucky it worked out in the end.

The movers were really good and helped to pack the last minute items that we didn't know how to pack. They were also very patient and it was nice knowing that the same guys who packed the truck were delivering and unpacking the truck too.

After they loaded the truck and left I felt a little sad that we won't live there again. We had so many great memories there with so many people. I would always look up into our window when I'd pass by and it would be weird seeing someone else there. So I took a minute to enjoy our last view of the city, aka traffic and started doing last minute prepping for our flight.

Before I knew it, it was time to pick James up from daycare. It was an emotional time as I love his daycare and all the teachers and kids there so how do you say bye. I could tell the teachers were sad too, in particular his favorite teacher who called him "little ducky" because of his hat. We said our goodbyes and headed home so that we could meet Adit and head to the airport.

My flight was at 7:30 but we wanted to get there early in case I got questioned when moving. James was sad to leave Dada and I was not looking forward to managing James and luggage on the flight. James refused to have dinner and managed to only have bread at the lounge. He was so overtired and slept during the flight. When we arrived a nice gentleman passenger helped me with my bags all the way to baggage collection. He was so nice and wanted to help me as he was a dad himself. He even paid for my cart and was about to get my luggage when my brother arrived. If it wasn't for him I would have struggled with the bags and James. In return all he asked was that when I see another person in need was to help them however I can. This was a pay it forward attitude that I will honor. I was so touched by his kindness and he helped end a hectic day on a happy note!

As for James, he was wired when we got back to my mom's that night and didn't sleep again until 10! I was exhausted and feel asleep while nursing him. So the following day my mom and I took James around the city. He loved Riverside park and didn't want to leave. He walked the streets of NY like a proud NYer and said hi to all the dogs and pigeons!

Well that's the update for now, I'll share more about the unpacking, settling in, and the storm!

Miss you Canadians and I'll send you guys my contact soon!

Happy Reading!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment