November 6, 2012

How Did This Happen? :(

My day started off well despite James waking up at 5:30. I brought him into bed with me and he stayed and played a bit until around 7:30ish. We brushed our teeth, changed his clothes and diaper and went down for breakfast. Afterwards James played and we had an early lunch. Adit and I were watching Revolution as we had lunch and since James was in the room he didn't nap as scheduled. Instead he fell asleep around 1:30-3:30. He initially work up after an hour and I napped with him for the second hour. I just love cuddling with him. I'm trying to encourage him to ask for "Milky", but instead he points and then I'll ask him if he wants milky and he says "yes". James also says no, it's the cutest thing because of the way he says it.

I gave James a snack after he woke up and then got him dressed to go for a drive to get groceries. Adit, James and I went to Costco. As usual we picked up some things that weren't needed. Lol! On the way out there was a huge line to get the receipts checked and the wind was blowing in at us, so I figured it would make more sense to take James to the car. I took the car keys from Adit and headed to the car. James took the keys from me and I placed him in the seat. Since he was wearing his heavy winter jacket I closed the door and started walking to the other side to get in and undress him. Before I could get to the other door I heard the car lock! I ran to the door and pulled it, but it was locked. I checked in at James and he was sitting there with the keys in his hands playing. I tried all the car doors, but no use, everything was locked! My heart sank! I quickly checked my purse as I usually have my keys, but guess what, no keys!

By this time Adit was walking up and I yelled to him that I locked James in the car because i let him have the keys. He was calm and we said we need to get home to get my keys. The couple parked next to us could see the panic and heard what happened. They offered to take Adit to get the keys and bring him back. They took off and I stayed at the window asking James to "press the button". He did press the buttons, just not the one we needed. He kept hitting the lock, then the panic. The alarm went off a few times, but he was pretty calm. I was loosing my mind on how this happened and how he was doing. I fed him at Costco and I knew he was warm since he was in his coat. I was just worried that he'd fall out of the seat and hurt himself as he wasn't buckled in. I tried my best to keep him calm by playing peek-a-boo and singing his favorite songs. As Adit was headed back James started to have a meltdown. He wanted out of the seat. He kept trying to hand me the keys through the glass, but I couldn't take it. Then he started crying and slouching in the seat. He was crying and it was breaking my heart. I knew Adit would be there, but I didn't want him to fall. He has his feet facing me and was kicking the glass, that was a safe position so he wouldn't fall. Then he realized he could turn the other way and started swinging his body there. I got so nervous and was pounding on the glass to get his attention and calling him. Thankfully I saw the couple drive up and Adit unlocked the car. I quickly opened the door and grabbed James in my arms. I was so relieved to hold him. He was still crying as he was tired and probably was scared through that ordeal too. I took him to the back seat with me and nursed him. After a couple minutes he calmed down and let me put him in the car seat. I continued nursing while we drove home and he was fine.

When we parked I saw a big smile on his face and he said "up, up". I took him out and got him ready for bed. I held him really tight as I rocked him to sleep and kissed him goodnight before putting him in his crib. I am so relieved that nothing bad happened. I've learned my lesson and I'm never giving a kid any automatic keys again! My heart can't undergo that stress again.

Hope no one else has to experience this and can maybe learn from my account.

Happy reading!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment